Credits & Description:
Category: Best Integrated Campaign Led by PR
Product/Service: 3D LED TVS
Senior Vice President of Marketing Group of Visual Display and head of Global Marketing Operation: Sue Shim (Samsung Electronics)
Director of Marketing Communications of Visual Display: YS Kim (Samsung Electronics)
Senior Manager of Marketing Communications of Visual Display: Sonia Kim (Samsung Electronics)
Manager of Marketing Communications of Visual Display: HeeSeung Lee (Samsung Electronics)
Manager of Marketing Communications of Visual Display: MinChul Kim (Samsung Electronics)
Manager of Marketing Communications of Visual Display: Chris Ha (Samsung Electronics)
Manager of Marketing Communications of Visual Display: Joon Lim (Samsung Electronics)
Manager of Marketing Communications of Visual Display: Thomas Han (Samsung Electronics)
Manager of Marketing Communications of Visual Display: HJ Choi (Samsung Electronics)
Manager of marketing Communications of Visual Display: Sonya Jung (Samsung Electronics)
Executive Vice President: Tim Fry (Weber Shandwick)
President, Global Consumer: Lisa Sepulveda (Weber Shandwick)
Executive Vice President: Peter Campisi (Weber Shandwick)
Senior Vice President: Brooke Shepard (Weber Shandwick)
Account Supervisor: Jennifer Zaitz (Weber Shandwick)
Executive Vice President, Managing Director: Tara Back (Jack Morton)
Senior Vice President, Creative Strategist: Matt Jones (Jack Morton)
Senior Vice President, Creative Director: Philip McDougall (Jack Morton)
Executive Producer: Kristine Smith (Jack Morton)
Strategy & Planning Coordinator: Alison Ebers (Jack Morton)
Media placement: Out Of Home Advertising - Five Video Billboards In Times Square - 9 March 2010
Media placement: Experiential Events - Branded B-Boys And A Celebrity-Studded After-Party With A Multi-Screen 3D Cube - 10 March 2010
Media placement: Social Media Buzz - Facebook And Twitter Drove Fans To Watch Live Online, While Thousands Tweeted - 9 March 2010
Media placement: News Media - 100+ Interviews Via Press Conference And After-Party Red Carpet - 9 March 2010
Summary of the Campaign
To launch Samsung’s first-to-market 3D LED TV, Samsung’s public relations efforts took centre stage. The result was the start of a movement.
To persuade consumers 3D technology is the biggest change in the TV industry since TVs moved from black and white to colour, Samsung brought its 3D LED TV to life physically. They staged a surprise performance by The Black Eyed Peas in Times Square that was filmed in 3D by renowned director James Cameron.
Samsung then used the performance to drive an integrated campaign that ranged from experiential marketing on the streets of New York; billboards around the city; TV, radio and online advertising; and social media buzz through Facebook and Twitter; plus significant reporter and blogger engagement through a press conference, concert attendance, executive interviews and the influencer event.
The result was a series of news announcements that created buzz from technology outlets to entertainment TV shows and reached more than 2.4 billion media impressions worldwide.
The effort not only created a public spectacle second only to New Year’s Eve, it a kicked-off a worldwide consumer awareness campaign, created new 3D TV content, and showcased highly influential entertainment industry support for Samsung’s 3D TVs.
• INCREASE awareness of Samsung leadership in 3D, LED TV and the TV industry
• ESTABLISH LEADERSHIP with first-to-market Full HD 3D LED TV
• ELEVATE Samsung as a global leader in home entertainment and 3D
• CELEBRATE ‘liberation’ of content by 3D TV
The results surpassed all Samsung’s goals.
More than 2.4 billion impressions were delivered, and the PR team generated traditional and social media coverage with more than 4,000 media placements in every major, global market, including outlets such as Associated Press, The New York Times, Newsweek, People, The Korea Times, The Guardian, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, BBC, MTV, Telemundo and more. During launch week, Samsung 3D TVs were featured on Good Morning America, CNN International, and in thousands of stories and thousands of individual tweets viewed by consumers.
Most of all, Samsung gained the endorsement of key influencers, taking leadership of the 3D TV movement. As James Cameron remarked on stage at the performance, "When you look back 10 years from now, you will be able to say, 'I was there. I was there in the centre of the whole wide world when the future began.’ Right here, tonight."
Liberating the Black Eyed Peas’ Times Square performance was a centerpiece for the global launch’s integrated marketing efforts at every level:
• Out of Home Advertising: Five video billboards in Times Square featured custom-created Samsung 3D animations and live streaming of the performance, while four advertising wrapped buses traveled the city.
• TV Advertising: The announcement also drove coverage for an attention-grabbing TV commercial.
• Retail Support: James Cameron’s filming created more 3D content for Samsung TV displays.
• Experiential events: Branded B-Boys and a celebrity-studded after-party with a multi-screen 3D cube encouraged media and influencers to experience Samsung 3D personally.
• Social Media Buzz: Facebook and Twitter drove fans to watch live online, while thousands tweeted.
• Media: A press conference before the event and assurances The Black Eyed Peas would deliver key messages in interviews, dramatically broadened news opportunities and deepened the message delivered.
Amidst a competitive landscape in the 3D LED TV marketplace, where mainstream brands such as Sony, Panasonic and LG looked to claim leadership, Samsung was poised to be first-to-market. However, the industry faced a challenge in demonstrating to consumers that enough 3D content is available to warrant paying premium prices and changing their TV-watching behavior by wearing 3D glasses in their living rooms. As a result, Samsung needed to do more than launch a TV, it needed to launch a social movement, showcasing compelling 3D content and involving 3D advocates who would appeal to a mass audience.
• Transcend product-only news; position Samsung as changing the face of home entertainment with an unforgettable, can’t-miss approach to mark the global availability of Samsung 3D LED TV products
• Counter a key concern about 3D TVs by creating more 3D video content for Samsung consumers
• Help consumers experience the sensation of watching entertainment in 3D
• Dominate the news by out-gunning the competition during launch week and beyond
• Frame every story (both literally and figuratively) with the Samsung brand
• Reach a global audience to raise awareness and excitement for Samsung 3D LED TVs
The Promo / PR Ad titled LIBERATING 3D LED TV was done for product: Samsung 3d Led Tv (brand: Samsung) in United States. It was released in the Jul 2012.