Credits & Description:
Category: Best Research
Product/Service: M&M'S CANDY
Date of First Appearance: Jun 12 2009 12:00AM
Entrant Company: SPACE, Brussels, BELGIUM
Marketing Director Chocolate: Valerie Struye (Mars)
Deputy General Manager: Bernard Cools (Space)
Trade Marketing Manager: Noelle Stevens (Microsoft)
Insight & Survey Expert: Françoise Jehin (Space)
Media placement: TV - La Une RTBF, La Deux RTBF, RTL-TVi, VTM, 2BE, VT4, Club RTL, AB3, Plug RTL - 15/06/2009
Media placement: Internet - MSN - 08/06/2009
Results and Effectiveness
• The daring mixed fieldwork techniques have proved unbiased in terms of brand awareness and may therefore be considered standard.
• When adjusted to its GRP level, the online video part of the campaign is at least as effective as TV. One web GRP proved to be 4 times more effective in creating either copy awareness or attribution to the brand, than one TV GRP.
• Spots in online video show a 17% optimisation in likeability compared to TV.
• The declared propensity to use the product doubled (17% to 34%) when exposures to the web were added to TV.
The research consisted of 520 interviews. We relied on mixed fieldwork techniques:
• Online self interviews, aimed at detecting either “Web only” or “TV+Web” exposures
• No less than 200 face-to-face interviews, with a PDA-based protocol that was as identical as possible to the online version.
The purpose of the face-to-face part was clearly to give “TV only” contacts the largest possible chance to be recorded.
• Product consumption frequency
• Aided brand awareness (brands within the category)
• Viewing frequency 10 TV channels
• Surfing frequency
• Spontaneous ad recall per brand
• Recall of the 10″ commercials with hidden brand identification
• Correct attribution
• Recall origin (TV, web, cinema, don’t know)
• Agreement with statements
• Rating spot (mark 1 to10)
The tested itself consisted of 265 GRPs on TV and 75 GRPs on web (80/20 breakdown).
Insights, Strategy & the Idea
TV and online video may be seen as perfect substitutes. However our FMCG clients often object that we cannot demonstrate the added value of online video compared to their “safe play” or “mandatory” option: television.
Faced with these objections on the added value of online video addition to TV spots, the agency launched in June 2009, a test case based on 2 M&M’s short commercials (10”). Besides a classical TV campaign, online video spots were broadcast on Microsoft platforms (MSN and Messenger). A bespoke research investigated the relative power of the exposure to online video compared to exposure to television advertising.
In both cases, the target group consisted of young (18-44 years-old) shoppers, a very commonplace target population for FMCG advertisers in Belgium. The purpose of the test was to demonstrate to Mars, but also to other FMCG advertisers, that the use of online video increases overall effectiveness.
The Promo / PR Ad titled AN UNBEATABLE TEAM was done by Space advertising agency for product: M&ms (brand: M&M's) in Belgium. It was released in the Jun 2009.